View more products by Spice Kitchen
African & Middle Eastern Spice Tin with 9 Spices
£24.95Spice Kitchen: african-middle-eastern-spice-set
We are very pleased to launch a new spice tin in collaboration with Tom Perkins, author of Spices and Spandex. Tom rode a bike from London to South Africa with his friend Matt, a journey that took him 501 days in total. As Tom puts it the boys traveled "at street level, focusing on the local; the backstreets, the vendors and the artisans". His book has over 350 pages of menus, essays, photos, & collages with a diverse spectrum of recipes from Europe and Africa using a wide array of spices.
We were really pleased to be introduced to Tom some months back and we have been scouring planet earth to find the highest quality suppliers for a new range of spices and spice blends, some of which may be new to you!
Each order contains these 9 high quality African and Middle Eastern spices and spice blends:
- Fenugreek: With hints of toasted maple, this adds both sweet and delicately bitter notes to stews and curries. Common throughout kitchens of the Middle East and North Africa.
- Baharat: A rich, earthy Middle Eastern Spice mix combining allspice, black peppercorns, cardamon, cassia, cloves, coriander, cumin, nutmeg and paprika. Great to rub into meat as a marinade, especially lamb and chicken.
- Berbere: One of the building blocks of Ethiopian Cuisine, combining dried red chilli, garlic, ginger, basil, cumin, nigella, caraway and fenugreek. Gives an amazing kick to stews and as a meat rub.
- Ras el Hanout: A deep, warming spice mix used throughout North Africa, combining cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, turmeric and cardamon. Perfect to give depth to tagines.
- Sumac: A beautifully tangy, vibrant spice with amazingly fresh citrus notes. Very versatile, can be used to garnish salads, hummus, or as a rub for meat and works brilliantly with fish.
- Za'atar: The King of Middle Eastern spice mixes. A fragrant combination of oregano, marjarom, sumac, salt and sesame seeds.
- Harissa: A fiery North African chilli mix with dried red chilli, garlic, coriander, paprika and caraway. Great mixed with olive oil to make dressings for salads and cous cous or as a marinade for meat.
- Pul Biber / Aleppo Pepper: Grown in Syria and Turkey, these dried chilli flakes add a hint of cherry like fruitiness to dressings and marinades. Mild heat, slight saltiness.
- Urfa Biber: A dried Turkish pepper with a deep raisin, smokey flavour. Fantastic to rub into lamb or sprinkle over hummus.
UK Shipping 3-4 Days